Wednesday 23 February 2011

Git First Impressions

So far, so good :) Took me just under half a day to set up a git repository, import the existing project source and update our CI server. GitHub works well for creating your repositories and walks you through the process. It's very quick, especially when you comapare it to TFS - it's knocked 40% off our build time for a fairly hefty web app. It's not just the speed thats impressive though, having a complete history and full revision tracking capabilities, not dependent on network access or a central server is something as a TFS slave user, I've been longing for. I still think there's lots to get my head round, which will make things interesting next week when I have some real work to do on this project; so watch this space.

Here are some useful resources if you are just getting to grips with Git:

No comments:

Post a Comment