Friday 30 April 2010

Windows 2003 IIS Returns 404 for ASP.Net Pages

Had an issue on one of my virtual servers which wouldn't process any ASP.Net documents (aspx, asmx etc), but would just return a 404. However, it would happily return other resources such as htm, txt, css. There was no web application logging, no logs in event viewer I had nothing to go on, until I remembered I hadn't checked my IIS logs.

The logs showed requests for the ASP.Net documents and that a 404 was being returned. This part wasn't helpful but the logs also provide a sub status code which was 2:

#Fields: date time s-sitename s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip sc-status sc-substatus 
2008-02-27 12:39:13 W3SVC2 127.0.0.1 GET /default.aspx - 80 - 127.0.0.1 404 2

A quick Google led me to Microsofts IIS 6 pages explaining the sub status codes - bingo!

404.2 : "Web service extension lockdown policy prevents this request"

Knowing this and with the power of Google I resolved the issue in less than a minute. Just open the IIS6 interface, select the Web Service Extensions menu node, on the right you will see the web service extensions available - just select the ASP.Net extension and click the allow button.

IIS Web Extensions Menu

3 comments:

  1. thank you this issue plagued me for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This saved me from pulling out my remaining hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friend -- that was helpful.

    ReplyDelete